I don’t have a cell phone for a very good reason, cell phones and I just don’t co-exist together amicably. And because when I have had one, Jeff is always unhappy with me-its not charged, not turned on, not answered, not everything. Last Tuesday when I finally received the call to go to the hospital, I was running out the bedroom when I said to Jeff, ‘ I’ll take the phone so I can call people’. ‘Good idea’, was his response. All this simple action did was cause me excessive grief over the next 18 hours.
When I got home at 4am Tuesday morning and was showing him pictures of our precious new arrival he said, ‘remember to leave the on the dresser when you leave’. Got it I thought. I fell asleep and when he woke me up 2.5 hours later, he again reminded me ‘ leave the phone’. Got it I thought. I readied myself for work all the time chanting, phone, phone, phone and went running out the door just after 7am, which I thought was pretty good. When I was almost to work I heard an unfamiliar sound reverberating from the direction of my purse. My stomach sank and I knew I was in trouble. There in my car going the opposite direction from where Jeff would be travelling that day was his beloved cell phone. The thought crossed my mind ‘he doest use it that much for work’ and felt somewhat better. But being responsible, I walked into the building and had just determined that it was time to call and confess my sins for the day, when the phone rang again. I managed to answer it (I know you all think this so easy) and my heart sank out of my shoes, it was Jeff’s secretary, the power was out at the plant and she needed to talk to Jeff on what to do. I gave the excuse, ‘we just had baby and I have the phone in error’. Then I had to call Jeff and tell him I not only had the phone, but there was a problem at the plant and they needed to talk to him. Not 10 minutes later the phone rang again, gun shy at this point I was just going to turn it off and not answer it when I saw that it was Jeff’s boss. What else could go wrong, so I answered it with a quick apology and told him to call Jeff at home. …then I had someone at work help me turn the phone off.off.
On the way home I stopped at the hospital to see my girls and as I was leaving at 6 I called my house from …Stephanie’s phone and told Jeff to stay at home and we would eat and then come back to the hospital. I knew he would get the message as it is his routine to, get out of his truck, collect the mail, come inside and sort the mail, listen to messages and then watch TV. He only listened to the first part of my message saying I was at the hospital so he left the house. I arrive home, intent on giving him his phone and …nothing. Darn. So I go to the hospital, but decide as I was carrying my camera I would leave my purse home. At this point I am blaming everything on the fact I only had 2.5 hours of sleep. Walking into Stephanie’s room I was immediately greeted with ‘where’s my phone’. I had too then explain it was at home…waiting for him. I did get the ‘why don’t you have your purse, why did you do that, why, why, why?. At 8pm we were asked to leave the room as visiting hours were over. Well that is what Jeff and Stephanie told me that the nurse was politely implying, I didn’t hear it that way at all. Jeff all but dragged me out of the room. As we drove home separately, by chance, he beat me home and when I walked in the house had already retrieved the phone from my purse and was sitting on the couch playing with it.
Since last Wednesday I have been told by at least 4 people that I should have a cell phone. I remain strong to my original conviction…..they are just more trouble to me than they are worth. Moral of the story: I have been banned from touching, carrying or using Jeffs phone – for life.
Then on Sunday, Jeff was helping Scott copy some DVD’s and was using the laptop. The batteries were running low so he went to plug in the charger. He searched in the bag, in the bedroom, at the outlet I always use to recharge it and then all downstairs. Finally he asked me where the cord was. Darn. I instantly remembered where it was and knew that once again I was using his things and not taking care of them like he does and wants me to. Where was the cord? Well, it wasn’t even at our house. I had taken the laptop over to Stephanie’s while I was staying there Wed and Thurs, and it was in her front room, under the baby swing. I had dinner just about ready to serve and Ken and Louise were there to eat with us. It did not matter to Jeff, he gave me a quelling look and left the house making the 5 min round trip to Stephanie’s to retrieve the missing cord. He returned happy and we had a good dinner together. I have learnt over the years that when I do foo-pa’s like this, it is just better to get it all resolved as quickly as possible so that life can go on. It is kind of like when men loose the remote control-everything stops until it has been located.
Moral of this story: I can still use the laptop, but I must never cross the threshold of the front door with the laptop in my hands.
Am I the only one that encounters issues such as these? Or am I really irresponsible?
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amy & I were talking about your cell phone blog this morning. She has resisted getting one but becasue of Brooklyn's age and school situation they need to get them. She is not happy and agrees with you completely.
Post a Comment