Tuesday, May 18, 2010

If I had my child to raise over again - Diane Loomas

Since Adelaide has been born I have been reflecting on my mothereing skills and came across this poem. Short and simple; touching on what is really important to be a good mother - time. As a grandmother, (still can't type it out with going - really?) I will try better, to be better and be there whenever needed, and to always respect what the parents want for their children, and give my grandchildren my time.

If I had my child to raise over again,
I’d do less correcting, and more connecting.
I’d take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less and know to care more.
I’d take more hikes and fly more kites.
I’d stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I’d run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I’d do more hugging, and less tugging.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I’d build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I’d teach less about the love of power, and more about the power of love.
Diane Loomas

1 comment:

Jenny J said...

this is my FAVORITE saying.
it's been on my blog for years.
thanks for re-bringing it to my attention!