Thursday, March 4, 2010

“You have an exciting life because it is YOUR life :)”

I don’t follow that many people’s blogs-blog following can take up too much time. But I do have a short list that I visit almost daily, a shorter list that I view every week and another list for those that are worth randomly stopping by for a read. The short list is made up those people that really matter to me, family (none of my friends have blogs, some do face book, but that is a venue that I do not want to participate in). The second list is made up of people I know or blogs that I have come across that are well done and I have an affiliation with what the author writes about. The third list is blogs that I enjoy because their content is interesting and I seek them out less often.
On Tuesday I was reading one of the blogs on list #2 when I came across an entry that simple said:
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Read this
please please read this….about the unexpected birth of a babe with down syndrome.your heart will be forever changed.
Sometimes I follow links, but most often I do not. On Tuesday I did and I was not prepared for what opened before me. As I read and re-read lines that had been so carefully and emotionally written, tears welled in my eyes and my heart ached. And you know that lump you get in your throat that makes it hard to swallow, that was there as well. It was the first blog entry by a new young mother after the birth of her second child. It talked of before the birth, the anticipation of what was coming, of holding her perfect baby in her arms, of hopes and dreams for her daughter for the future. It talked of seeing her daughter for the first time in the delivery room and just knowing she had Downs Syndrome. I anguished as I read of her emotional battle to love her new daughter who was not the perfect child she had planned for or expected. I cried as she bonded with, loved and now adores her new baby.
As I read her incredible story so well written I found myself wanting the authors ‘perfect’ world. And I thought to myself ‘wait’, what makes her problems sound so great? What makes her trial so appealing? I have trails, we have MS but I am not nearly as excited about my trial as she is about hers. I also momentarily longed for an exciting life, – I know, really what was wrong with me on Tuesday that all these emotions surfaced? I felt like my life was dull and unexciting. There was a secret that was hiding from me for a few hours and it was this. The writer wrote with such passion, she would have made sharpening a pencil seem thrilling. Sandra had read the blog so I sent her my thoughts on my little life and this is what she came back with.
“You have an exciting life because it is YOUR life :)”
I do believe that this might be my favorite quote of all time.
I deliberately left off the link to the blog as I don’t want Stephanie to read it yet. So Stephanie, don’t ask me or your sister for it. Once Adelaide is born and you are holding your perfect baby girl in your arms you can read it.

No comments: