
4.04am March 16th. Jeff wakes up to find me clinging to his right arm, whimpering like baby. He says to me 'Why are you pinching my arm?' I choke out my reply 'Didn't you feel it, don't you feel it?". Jeff is a heavy sleeper and had slept right through our most recent earthquake. I am trying to decide if I should get up and run outside or should I just lay in bed and hope it stops soon. As long as I live in California I will Never get used to earthquakes. I hate them, they make me nervous, they drain me of all my energy and put me on edge for hours. It is the weirdest of feelings, I woke up and heard it first, a strange rumbling, then the house starts to shake and then you feel the earth moving, this time a dipping feeling and a sharp jolt. The earth quites, the shaking stops and a eerie quite blankets the neighbourhood. The dogs aren't barking, there is no noise, we are all recovering.
I was the only one in the family that felt it, everyone else slept like babies through it. Oh, to be so lucky.
I was the only one in the family that felt it, everyone else slept like babies through it. Oh, to be so lucky.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh I am the same way! I will never be ok or used to them! I remember when I first came to Utah, I could sleep in peace because I was under the impression that Utah does not have earth quakes. I lived in an apartment pretty much up on stilts last year, and it would sway and shake all the time and I was totally fine! It was the first peace I had in my life. Then someone told me Utah is due for a big earthquake as well and that they get earthquakes here too. I now live in a big building that is shaped and grounded in such a way, that I should not really be able to feel anything and yet, I wake up in a panic ALL the time, feeling like it's an earthquake. haha.
One more story: I remember once we had an earthquake, I RAN to the door frame and NO one else even flinched or acknowledged it. So, you're not alone my dear!
Post a Comment