Friday, October 15, 2010

Cape Cod - Day 6


My day began with the crazy notion that I wanted to see a sunrise here. I was awake in time but couldn't see the clock so didn't get out of bed in time. As it was overcast I was not sure if I had really missed it so i walked down to the ocean at 6:30, sat on the seat above the steps to the ocean and just enjoyed 30 minutes of contemplation.

We had planned to go to Nantucket Island today and have been watching the weather forecast daily. The morning was cold and cloudy with a strong chance of early showers, clearing in the afternoon. ....the prediction was accurate. But as our time was short we bundled up, took what rain gear we had and headed out.

We left the house at 7:45, picked up Marvin & Dee and headed to the High Speed Ferry dock in Hyannis. In just over one hour we pulled into the Nantucket dock. I had expected a place that was somewhat like Cape Cod but was so surprised to find that it was Cape Cod and so much more. Right off the boat you could see the main street and all I could think was ...time warp. The roads were paved with either red bricks, slate or cobblestones. The streets were narrow and lined with huge old trees who's roots were moving the sidewalks making every step you took precarious. We took a quick walk on a few of the streets closest to the dock. In order to get a feel for the island and learn of the history we took a narrated bus tour. The driver was an old timer and as he drove the bus recounted the history of the island. It was rich with stories of the whaling industry, sailors being gone for 3-4 years of women running the town. The buying and selling of the island over the years, often times for next to nothing - one time for $20.00. He told how the island would come in and out of favor as a vacation destination. We went out through native scrub, low trees in sandy soil, to a really exclusive golf course with a lighthouse in the background. To the side of the island where the local women of decades ago had their rich sailor husbands build them holiday homes so they could escape the smell of the whaling industry. It was here that I found it like a fairy tail small, small town, not really a town, just a few streets. Because of the strict building codes - no fence over 3 feet unless it is a privet hedge; everything on the outside of a house has to be wood (no vinyl); only 3 colors of houses-cedar shake, grey and white. These houses were beautiful in themselves - traditional Cape Cod style. Combine the houses with privet hedges, arches in the hedges, allies lined with hedges and it was a little place out of time. On the bus tour you could not get off and walk around and I was very disappointed not to have the opportunity to wander at my leisure.



Back in town we had lunch in a little pub and I was the lucky one of the bunch. I ordered French Onion Soup and it happened to be the best soup I have ever, ever had. After lunch Jeff and I left the others and walked all over the town. I lead, he followed. He is so great, every time I saw something pretty he indulged me, joked with me and made fun of me for finding something that intrigued me every few feet. After several hours he was done and was quite tired so we made it back to the wharf to wait for the others to join us. The evening boat ride was much colder than in the morning and when docked we were so cold as soon as we got in the car we turned the heater up to full and and sat for a few minutes letting the car heat up. Driving back to the house we talked over our day and all that we had seen. Even with the rain in the morning, it was a fabulous day. Nantucket is truly a gem to be seen and experienced.

No comments: