Jim and Stephanie invited Sandra and me to be with them when they went for their 14 week ultrasound. The purpose was to have the big question answered – What is the sex of their baby. For the next 6 months would I be purchasing all items blue or pink? Jim drove the 4 of us to the appointment-a 20 min drive on the freeway. The closer we were to arriving, the more nervous we all became. I am not sure why we were nervous; maybe it was the anticipation of making the transition from ‘the baby’ or ‘it’ to….. a real baby, a girl or boy, and with a name.
The waiting room of the office was dowdy, gray with black plastic chairs, not at all inspiring. I would have expected something pretty and feminine, pink and blue with comfy chairs, more like a nursery. After waiting a few minutes we all went into the ultrasound room, Steph laid on a bed, Jim was in a chair next to her and Sandra and I sat on 2 chairs about 10 feet away. We didn’t quite, but wanted to hold hands. The lights were dimmed and there we all were, glued to the 2 TV screens. The tech slathered gel all over Stephanie’s little baby bump, touched her tummy with the ultrasound wand and suddenly the image was there – our baby.
For almost 10 minutes the tech tried to determine if it was a boy or girl, but our little baby, just lay there not moving. Stephanie touched her toes, ate more candy, stood up, touched her toes again and did twists. But nothing, then suddenly the baby started to move a little. At one point the baby moved it's hand as if to say ‘enough’ and the picture shows it's fingers against the uterus wall.

We were all getting pretty worried that our trip would be for naught and we would leave without finding out what it was. We went from almost no hope to the tech suddenly saying ‘are you ready?’ Sandra said ‘no’ and then we all kind of had a nervous laugh while we watched the screen as the tech said, ‘It’s a GIRL’. We all kind of gasped and then started saying, ‘ a girl, a girl – baby Adelaide.” There she was, our perfect baby, lying quietly, surrounded in the safety net that is her mothers womb. We were in awe, she is so beautiful. We saw arms, legs, a small heartbeat, fingers and toes. I fell in love all over again with a child yet unborn, but already I am emotioally attached to her.
Jim said that we should have know it was a girl, she was laying so quietly sleeping, just like her mother likes to do.
It was an amazing 30 minutes, I saw my granddaughter, Stephanie’s baby. It was truly a miracle to be able to experience this moment in all their lives.
Thank you Jim and Stephanie for sharing.
It was an amazing 30 minutes, I saw my granddaughter, Stephanie’s baby. It was truly a miracle to be able to experience this moment in all their lives.
Thank you Jim and Stephanie for sharing.
...on the way home Sandra wanted to stop at Target indulge in some baby girl shopping, we did not stop, but..I have plans.
ps: on Wednesday I went to Target to buy the first official outfit but found nothing extrordinarrily beautiful or worthy for the first 'official' gift (I have a box of things I have already been collecting). I settled for a pink little cuddle blanket (about 18" square) with a soft elephant face in the middle. The fabric is fleece on one side side, silky smooth on the other and bound in satin. I think she will like it.
2 comments:
Can I just comment on how great of a writer you are? I loved the way you wrote it; in a way that made me want to keep reading (even though I already knew the outcome- girl!!!) You've got so many admirable talents!! Congrats on being a Grandma! haha. I was just thinking about the different nicknames you did NOT want to be called, if you know what I mean. haha. Have a great Friday!!
oh ya, and you need to get some baby bump pictures up! Steph hasn't posted any either and I'm dying to see that teeny girl with a belly!! Love ya!
mummy, i love you.
Post a Comment