Sunday, May 22, 2011

Laguna Beach Garden Tour - May 5th.

While I was having a wonderful time in Utah ,  the local garden tour was taking place so  I decided to take Friday May 6th off (thank goodness for an abundance of vacation time) to attend for the first time the Laguna Beach garden tour.
Friday Morning I had a list of things planned to do, but in the end only mowed the grass before leaving  the house at 9am and drove to my friend Marlene’s house. Marlene and I met at work 5 years ago and an instant friendship developed. We decided to meet at her house as she lives fairly close to the garden tour. She offered to make a ‘little something’ to start our day and when I arrived It was to a heavenly smell coming from the kitchen. She loves to do set pretty tables and we sat down to a table set with a linen table cloth, napkins bound in pretty rings and cubed sugar in a delicate china holder. Her glass ware was beautiful and the plates added to the decoration of the table. It was almost a shame to open the napkin and disrupt the table. She had made a tasty sausage quiche (I need to get the recipe), bagels and cream cheese and a freshly cut fruit salad. Her good friend Mary joined us and the 3 of us had a delightful brunch.


Laguna Beach was established back in the 1920’s 30’s and sits along the Pacific Coast Hwy, which is the road that runs the length of California coastline.  The land is quite hilly once you leave the ocean which lends to a secluded feeling of the town.  Laguna has kept it's small town appeal and is known for it's art galleries, the yearly Pagent of the Masters lots of activites throughout the year that are art related. The architecture of the homes runs from Craftsman to Frank Lloyd Wright, modern upgrades sit next to homes not changed since they were built, big next to small.
The garden tour is unique in that it is a 'walking' tour, about a one mile walk to view 10 gardens.  The day was a perfect California May day. This was the largest of the gardens, a large grass area, lovely patio, swimming pool on the other side of the house.  I loved the staircase in used briks.


An old pot, a few rocks, in front of wrought iron, stunning.

The above had an itty bitty garden done in a very modern style. I so appreciated the artistic design and the strong lines the brick/concrete water feature softend by one large pot of succulents.
Several of the houses had their patio tables set beauifully, each adding to the appeal of the garden.

I really liked this ceramic lizard sitting on the weathered bench.  I am hoping that my neice Marissa will be inspired by this lizard and make me one similar to put in my garden. Yes that is a hint :)

Crips white on the eves, stunning white hydrangers and these brillant red trees. This front door entrance was so welcoming.

Ivy softened walls of tall chimmies and low walls. Adding a softness to the hard lines of each.


An unexpected house, that reminded me of  'the old lady in the shoe'.  Oh, I wanted to take a peek inside.

Pavers, wooden gates with little birds sitting on poles beckoned one to look over the fence to see what was behind it.  ...More of the same, so cute, so unexpected.

This water feature was in a very simple garden, all under one huge ficus tree.  Lots of seating arrangements placed for visting, lushness filled the place with ferns, potts and garden art.  The water feature was large, probably about 8 feet high.  As the water fell quietly over the sculptured face, it relaxed your mood, and i wanted to sit and just watch the water falling, falling softly.

Lavendar bushes that I had to brush my hand through and smell, open gates that welcomed and small steps that were so easy to walk up and down all added to the appeal of this garden,...and this was just at the gate.


Every garden was differnt, every garden inviting and inspiring.  It was such a wonderful day, walking from house to house and being able to enjoy the company of Marlene and Mary.

No comments: