Monday, November 15, 2010

Weekend wrap-up Sunday 14th November

Friday: I had my first real official long time babysitting assignement. Jeff was working late and Jim and Stephanie were going to a movie with friends. On the way home from work I stopped at Stephanie's where Jim was playing 'the game-COD' and Steph was trying to decide what she was going to wear on Saturday to Jim's companies Christmas party. In the end we grabbed our purses and ran off to the little clothing store next to Target. After a whirl wind trip through the store and a depressing try on of about 9 dresses, we left empty handed. As a mother my heart broke just a little - ok, a big little. Stephanie had been trying to decide for almost a month what to wear, she wanted Jim to be proud of her and she wanted to look stunning and beautiful. As we drove home she had the sniffles and I felt unhelpful and as though I had in some way failed her. Jim is wonderful and was able to turn her mood around and she got ready for her date with him. They left the house and I became just a little nervous. On the detailed list left were, feeding Adelaide, bathing her and her sleeping routine instructions. Stephanie is a fabulous mother, organized and meticulious in her care of Adelaide. I wanted her to know that what ever she wants me to do, it will be done and done the way she wants. Adelaide and I had a great time together playing and entertaining each other. As I held her in my arms watching as her eyes grew heavy, blinking closed slowly, fighting the encroaching night. My chest grew tight with the love that welled up in me for this perfect child that has so blessed our family. When I laid her down in her bed, I stood for a few minutes just watching her and marveling at how much she has grown in 6 months. Grandmotherhood is great.
Jeff got home at 11:15pm - happy I was not.

Saturday: Jeff had to be at work again at 11 so we did a few errands together before he left. Once he was gone I went to Lowes and purchased several packets of snapdragons and viola. I had a few coupons for a clothing store that was having a sale; I had just walked in the store and there, right in front of me was this really stunning little black dress. I found the smallest size and bought it - just in case Stephanie might like it. I called her and told her to stop by on her way home from work - she said 'what have you done?' She didn't sound overly thrilled. I don't blame her, I have no taste in clothes compared to my girls. At home I mowed to lawn while Bella played catch. She brings the ball to me as I am mowing, I pause, pick up the ball and throw it. I have no illusions anymore with her...we look stupid together and I am well trained. I gardened from 11:30 to 4pm, I thought of Cathy as I 'tizzied' the yard wearing the hat she had left for me. The weather was perfect and I had a delightful day to myself.
Steph stopped by on her way home from work and expressed her surprise when she saw the dress. Unfortunatly when she tried it on, the cut above the bodice wasn't quite right. I had so wanted her to love it, but it wasn't going to work.
Not to be put off, she went home were Sandra and Tyler were waiting - the babysitters for the night. Sandra played the big sister role and helped her get ready for the night. Steph and done her own hair at work and it looked stunning.
When Jim and Stephanie left for their party, Sandra told me that Stephanie was happy with the dress she found in her closet and had embelished it so that she looked really sleek.
Sandra and Tyler love Addie. Sandra was thrilled at the opportunity to babysit her. On friday she told me that she was counting the hours until she saw her again.
When I stopped in on Saturday - dropping off a few things for each of the girls, Tyler was feeding Addie a bottle and Sandra was happy to be with her neice. I know that that night Adelaide had all the attention paid to her that she needed. Sandra and Tyler are so good with her.
Jeff got home at about 5pm, showered, put on his PJ's and we ate a simple dinner of eggs and bacon. I had a church meeting that I went to at 8pm. For some reason that no one understands the building is alwasy freezing...and I froze that night, my feet were like ice. Coming home I turned the heater on high and the seat warmer on as high as I could stand. I practicaclly ran in the house and jumped into bed and feel right to sleep.
Sunday the 14th, was just one of those days that starts so well, and ends so badly. I had offered to watch Addie early in the morning so that Jim and Stephanie could sleep in, so i got up early, showered and dressed. But no call, Jim and Stephanie decided that they had missed her too much and kept her home. This gave me some unexpected extra time to do things. So I did some housekeeping, watered my little new plants and got ready for my church meetings. On the way home from church Jeff received a text from Sarah saying that they did not think that they would be allowed to check another bag. Each of the girls had only bought one bag with them and they are allowed 2, but as their bags had been checked all the way to Melbourne it was iffy how it would all work. I think their text went something like 'it seems unlikely that we can check the last bag'. I had jeff respond with 'Unlikely is unacceptable, Aunt Dani will be their to speak with people'. The bag in question was filled with all the fabric that Cathy had bought for herself but did not have room to take home with her in June. I had carefully repacked it from a box to one of my old duffle bags. I had not sent it to her as it was about $125 to ship so it was vital that the girls take it home. A few hours later Sarah sent another text saying 'all is well, they could take the bag'.
For dinner I made pumpkin soup (I am on the hunt for THE receipi), fried chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, corn and my first attempt at ocra (and the last). Dinner was a quick meal and Jeff and I left at 5:30 to make it to LAX, park and meet the girls by 6:30. I drove, I always drive now and we made it with time to spare. We found the girls easily and visited for an hour while standing in line to check the bag. It was great to hear about the past 2 weeks while they were in San Francisco and Vancouver. All too soon, it was time for the last hug, the last goodbye and then watching them walk through security leaving me on the other side. Jeff is so good, while he really wanted to leave he gave me a few more minutes to watch them. The last wave was finished, the last I love you shouted, and then I felt jeff take my hand and start to walk me out. Emotions: sad that the girls were leaving, their time with us was done, sad because I was ready to get on a plane and fly with them.
On the way home we talked of our great visit with them, how all the kids gelled, family bonds we made and strengthened.
At home I started doing dishes and soon discovered that my sink was clogged. We tried to plung it - no luck. in the end we used drano and i am so glad that it worked. I couldn't leave the mess so I stayed up and did the dishes at 12:30am. When the kitchen was finally clean at 1am, it felt good to know that I could go to bed and in the morning wake up to a clean kitchen.
The weekend was so busy, but so rewarding.

No comments: