Sunday October 17th – Boston
3 weeks have passed since we arrived home from our trip and I need to make my final post for our last day in Boston.
Boston is an expensive place to stay: We had made reservations at a hotel in downtown Boston. A 5 star well known chain that looked fabulous on line, a room that we had decided to share with Debbie and Dan. But the reality of our trip was that we only needed a place to plonk down our sleepy heads and tired bodies for one night. In the end we cancelled our reservation and found a much cheaper hotel to stay about 3 miles out of town. Once we finally found our room, it took about 10 minutes of wandering the halls trying to figure out the numbering system and in the end we had to ask someone, we settled in for the night and slept well. In the morning we met Debbie and Dan in the breakfast room and planned our day. The day before we had learnt of a new destination that Debbie and Dan had not visited so we thought we would start the day going on a tour of the John Adams and John Quincy Adams homes (2nd & 6th presidents; Father and son)
What struck me time and time again throughout the day is how at every turn, at every corner, on every hill, every preserved old building – all played a part in this country’s history. Streets, named after the famous helped designate points of history and historical moments, it was incredible.
Our first stop was the birthplace of John Adams and John Qunicey Adams – at the intersection of Franklin St, Presidents Ave and Independence Ave (see what I mean). The houses are now part of the National Park service and have been restored to the most correct known floorplan and décor found through research. The home was in a simple soapbox shape – steep roofs for snow and in the back a summer kitchen. We were met by 2 of the most enthusiastic park rangers. Both were young – mid to late 20’s and they loved their jobs. The tour they gave was filled with historical information which gave us a great sense of the family, life, hardships, expectations and the desire of these men to do what was good and right for the country.
While the home appeared extremely simple it was in fact quite ‘modern’ for the period – it did after all have the summer kitchen and the most modern cooking utensils. The swinging handle to move the posts on and off the open fire reducing the risk of burning.
The second home, only a few miles away known as the Dorothy Quincy Hancock House is on Adams St and Burgin Parkway. It was the Adams family home from 1720 – 1927 and is filled with many original photos, furniture and decorations of the family. Our guide at this house was…..a walking encyclopedia, of the Adams family. He was a bit older than us, a man who loved his job, loved the history that he had to share and was a marvel at imparting the tons – no books of information on the family. From the moment that we gathered in front of the door, through the house and into the first library, I was riveted. I have to admit that I can’t recall a fraction of what he said, but it did give me a desire to read books and understand more early American history. As we stood in the hallway looking into the main parlor, I could imagine the early presidents and their top aids sitting in chairs across from each other. Their hair done, clothed in their formal wear, discussing important items like…the Declaration of Independence, freedom and a better life for the people.
Around 11:30 we drove to the Boston Commons, found a place to park (no easy feat) walked to the commons where I had a craving for a pretzel, which Jeff bought, and I promptly threw in the trash as it was uneatable. The Commons is a grassy park area in the middle of Boston. I had the mistaken understanding that the Freedom Trail that we were going to walk was in the Commons. The Freedom Trail takes you on a city tour of 16 historical sites in the course of two or three hours and covers two and a half centuries of America's most significant past. A red brick or painted line connects the sites on the Trail and serves as a guide.
http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/
I walked the road that Paul Revere rode on, saw the steeple on the Old North church that Robert Newman signaled with 2 lanterns that the British were coming. I stood inside the Old State House, just 3 feet from the balcony where in 1776 the Declaration of Independence was read. We walked the whole trail and ended up at the USS Constitution, the oldest floating commissioned warship, launched in 1797. The whole day was filled with so many wonderful experiences and a new appreciation for the city of Boston, for the history of this country.
Our vacation ended at 5:30pm in the Boston airport waiting for our plane to take us home. We will arrive home at 11:30pm Sunday night. The thought did cross my mind, would I seem like the crazy Mimi if I popped in to see ‘the worlds most beautiful grand daughter?” ..so that no one really thinks me that out of control…I did wait until Monday afternoon to see her and Stephanie. Oh my, she is beautiful.
I need to express my appreciation to Debbie and Dan for extending the invitation to join them on this trip. It was an amazing 11 days, thank you.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment