When I was a little girl I remember singing a song about ‘ticky tacky’ houses, all like little boxes, all the same. I used to love this song, the flow of the melody the simply rythum. I recall one time I was making something and wanted it to be like everyone eles and my dad said, ‘don’t be like a ticky tacky house, be different’. This memory of the song came to me this week as Finally, I decided on the stacked stone that was to go on the front of my house. My house is like every other 5th house in the neighborhood and they all look so similar, and I was wanting to be different. I didn’t want to be a ticky tacky house any longer. For almost 8 weeks I had at least one dozen different rock samples lining my front walk way. I took surveys of everyone who came to our house, ‘Hello, what rock do you like best, are you sure?’. I drove everyone crazy and in the end everyone and I mean everyone wanted me to ‘just pick one.’ Well I did, I picked one, the contractor was at my house ready to put it up and I got cold feet. What will it look like, was it really the color I wanted….. So I called him, stopped him before he started and we met at the store for one last look. I stood in the store, looking at all the different samples, going no, no, no, Yes. The one I loved was the one I had already picked.
After many profuse and prolonged apologies, I went back to work feeling small, foolish and a bad client, and the contractor, back to my house to put the rock up. On Saturday he finished and I am so happy with how it all turned out. Jeff is so good to me, he really didn’t care what I did, but he did care about how high I wanted the rock to be. I wanted the front on each side of the garage to be 6 feet, and up the walk way 4 feet, he wanted it only to be 3 feet all the way. When he came home on Thursday he walked in the house, was greeted by my enthusiastic ‘what do you think’, and the telling, very honest answer, ‘well, I don’t Hate it as much as I thought I would’. Ouch, he did care.
Saturday the roof was cleaned and we are both happy with the result. I am no longer a ticky tacky house, I am different.
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,1
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.
2 comments:
Oh my goodness it looks so great!!! I didn't even know this was going on at all!! But it looks beautiful!
I have to say though, I hate change hahah. My poor house, whenever I have one, will be stuck in the 2010's when I'm 80 years old because I won't want to change! haha.
I thinks I would have had the same reaction you did. Except I wouldn't have had the courage to tell the contractor to WAIT! It looks great. Can't wait to see it in person.
Post a Comment