Sunday, April 5, 2009
A New Tradition
Several weeks ago Sandra and I went to our Stakes Women Conference. We attended several work shops that were insightful and inspiring. One of the classes that we went to was on how to make General Conference a weekend that was fun and something to look forward to. (I learnt that I did it all wrong). The highlights were: make it a special event, plan Family Home Evenings leading up the weekend by getting to know the apostles, plan silent activities for the kids while watching conference-with pictures of the apostles etc. Make the families favorite breakfasts and serve it just before conference starts, you have gathered as a family, had a prayer and can listen quietly while eating. Make special lunches and do the same. When the men go to priesthood, have the kids do something that makes them remember that dad has gone to special meeting for the men. I have been so busy around the house and with no kids I didn’t remember this part. So imagine my delight when Sandra called Saturday morning and said, ‘Mum, can you meet at Stephanie’s work at 4:30 for a pedicure? Then she reminded me of what we had learnt; that we need to come together as sisters and mothers/daughters to spend time together. I am not sure if this is what the teacher of the class had anticipated, but grateful am I to a daughter who reminded me that our time together was more important than anything I was doing in the house. With Jeff, Tyler and Jim at the meeting we were free women. Sandra and I met at Stephanie at her work, had a wonderful pedicure...then Steph did both Sandra and my hair. Jeff had earlier sent a TEXT (he was so against texting before his iphone) to both Tyler and Jim about getting together for dinner after their meeting. The 3 men made it to the restaurant before we did, but finally the 6 of us were all there and had a wonder evening together. We have started a new tradition, one that I will always look forward twice a year. Thank you girls for a fun evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment