On August 7th, Sandra turned 23.
Even looking at the number, I just need to pause for a moment and once again ask the same question as a week ago when Stephanie had her birthday, ‘Where has the time gone?’
To think that this is Sandra’s first birthday as a married woman and that we celebrate with her and her husband is odd. She is no longer My little girl, I will forever have to share her with Tyler. (I am a big girl, I think I can share.)
Taking a moment to go back to when I was pregnant with Sandra I had no idea that what little I knew of her before her birth would become a landmark personality trait as she grew older. You see, even before she was born, Sandra was stressed out. I remember having to go to the doctors/hospital every week and having stress tests done the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. We talked about inducing labor so that she would have relief, in the end, she made it full term. Sandra was a perfect baby. She looked perfect, pink, round faced, with the blondest few stands of hair. She had a perfect temperament, rarely did she have crying spells, she slept through the night early, and she was just happy. Sandra was, and is a girly girl. She was always clean and tidy, meticulous in what she wore, everything matched-all the time. Her room was immaculate, everything had it’s place and everything was put where it belonged. She cared deeply about others, was always the peacemaker and always founds opportunities to say something kind, give you a kiss, just to make you feel better. She was so organized, it stressed me out, if an assignment was given on Monday that was due on Friday, it was completed Monday night and filed in her backpack.
In Sandra’s world the sky was always blue, she saw the world at face value. She is intensely trusting, even today, if you tell her something she will believe you, simply because you told her. She sees the good in everyone and wants everyone to see the good in her. While she always cared about people, she holds her emotions close to her and rarely lets anyone see her very vulnerable side.
She was so shy it was scary, I think mainly because she never wanted to be in a position where she was center stage. She used to spend her recess time standing by the yard duty lady L. Then when she was in high school she told us she wanted to try out for cheerleading. This caused a few nights of anguish to us as parents. How do we let her try out knowing failure was imminent. But my little girl went out and made the team. While I am no big fan of cheerleading, it did afford Sandra the opportunity to develop and grow into a confident young girl.
As a baby she was a delight, as a young girl a dream, as a teenager….delightful. Ok, she had her moments of not being delightful, but they were few and far between. For all of her softness, she has a steely resolve, when she wants something, she will obtain it. Quietly, persistently and without complaint.
Today she surprises me. My delicate little girl loves reality TV shows – about everything. She likes to watch modern girly movies, but is not a crier. (Steph and I have that covered) I have tried to make her watch Pride and Prejudice, but she just falls asleep. (One of Tyler’s complaints about her when the go to the movies). She loves to shop, always looks wonderfully put together (Grandma would be proud) and likes expensive perfume.
Over the years, each of these traits intensified, making her an accomplished remarkable young woman. She is organized, a perfectionist in all that she does, still filled with goodness….and still stresses out.
With her recent marriage I worried that our relationship would change, and that I wouldn’t see her as much. We are lucky that we work together and each day I see her in the morning and then we eat lunch together. I am blessed to see her so much. Yes, our relationship has changed as it should. Tyler is her main focus, but we have grown closer together and love to spend time with each other. She is my daughter and friend.
I’ll like you for always
Love you for always
As long as I’m living
Your mother I’ll be
Happy Birthday Sandra, love you always and forever
Mum –
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment