Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Tour


I am not athletic, don't own or ride a bike, I don’t really like sports and I rarely watch sports on TV (unless Tiger Woods is playing or the Olympics). I think athletes are over paid and over glorified. But each year as July rolls closer I get excited with the anticipation of watching my favorite sport. For 3 weeks this year starting July 5th and ending on July 27th, I am glued to the TV. I warn the family that the TV is mine to watch at my choosing, and tapings of the Tour take precedence. I love this race, even amid the seemingly endless scandals of doping, this sport enthralls me. I am not sure what it is that draws me the most: the idea of sitting on a little seat for 3 weeks, hunched over in a position that is so not comfortable, the pure guts that it takes to ride 5-6 hours a day-rain, shine or high temperatures, the strength that it takes to survive the ride to the top of the ridiculously steep mountains or the danger that is faced on the descents. Or is it countryside? The endless views of castles and quaint villages with their cobble stoned roads. Or narrow roads that twist and turn up glorious mountains. The peloton marking its path with its display of colorful uniforms making its way to the village destination for that day. It just excites me.
It is not just a race for the famous Yellow jersey. There are other races going on each and every day for the green, white and pokadot jerseys. (King of the mountain, best young rider and sprinter). To watch the riders jockeying for positions as a sprint is being set up and then the final all out push for the finish line, the head bob for an extra inch. I can only imagine how every leg muscle must be burning and your heart pounding. The teamwork that is ever apparent within the Peloton is remarkable. Riders who’s whole existence is to help a better rider succeed for that day, to get someone other themselves to finish in a better position on the leader board. I don’t think that I would want to be water boy, falling back to get drinks from your team car and then have to ride faster, wind your way through the traffic of the Peloton and deliver the drinks to team mates. Could I be that unselfish-would I always want to have the glory of the yellow jersey? But to be fair, if any rider shows promise of making a stage win, the team rallies around that rider for the day giving them the opportunity to succeed for the team.
Jeff will sometimes watch it with me if it is early in the evening, otherwise I have the den to myself and watch in fascination. I cheer on the riders, willing them to ride faster, complete the course if they are falling from the pack, and hope that anyone who crashes gets up safely and can continue. Do I have a favorite? Always the American George Hincapie, and any Australian that is doing well. This year it is Cadel Evans. George will not win overall this year as he is 1 hour behind the leader, but I am hoping for a stage win. Do I really care who wins? Not really. I just love the race, from start to finish and every day in between.
This Sunday is the last day of the race. I don’t find the last day’s ride into Paris particularly exiting for the Yellow jersey winner. It is more of a formality and parade as the winner has really been decided the day prior in the individual time trials. I would love the battle to continue to the very last moment. But, on the Champs-Elysees, there are still points to be had for the Sprinter contest which allows for absolute bedlam by the riders. It is thrilling to see the sprinters charge up and down the Champs-Elysees make the sharp turns on the circuit, crossing the street back and forth trying to find an advantage point to make the final sprint. I will sit and watch and barrack for …everyone. Can’t they all win?
With the race over it means that I will be able to catch up on sleep as I tend to watch it later at night. At the end of these three weeks I am dragging. Oh, but wait, I won’t get enough sleep until August 30th, I still have a wedding to put on….(but I love every second of the whole event)
It has been a great 3 weeks, and I will do it all again next year.

No comments: