Today is Sunday and the last day of our trip. There have been several times that I have thought that I should have planned more time, taken another day, delayed our return home so that we could spend just a little more time together. It has been a wonderful 3 days so far and I know that today will have more memories made.
Our hotel last night was the best of the 3 days. The room was upgraded, really clean, provided a hair-dryer and the bed linen was think and crisp. As Sandra did her internship in an exclusive hotel - I learnt things. I now pack a sheet, and as soon as we enter the room, take off the bedspread and lay my sheet on top. Yes, Jeff thinks me walking a little close to the line of crazy, but I sleep better. I slept wonderfully restfully, the hotel was good and the Continental breakfast provided had my favorite little waffels that you cook yourself. You pour premade batter into a waffel cooker that has 4 small round waffel pockets in it, flip the maching over 180 degrees so that the machine starts to cook and in 2 minutes, 4 perfect 3 inch diameter waffels, smother with butter and maple syrup. so yummy.
It was quite cool outside with a wind that blew right through you, so we opted not to stop and walk on the beach. You could call us 'perfect weather beach walkers', can't be to hot, cold, windy or sunny. Our drive to Cambria only took us about 15 minutes. Although over the years we had come close to Cambria on Easter break, I can never remember a time that we took the short drive to walk the town. It is such a charming small town. We drove through town first, crossed the highway and drove the other side of town, the weather started to warm up a tad so I opened the windows again. My poor car went on roads that it never thought it would see, unpaved covered in a fine red dust. It reminded a little of Carmel, but on a much smaller scale and more country. I wanted to walk the town so we retraced our drive and parked on a side road just off the main street.
This clock was on the site of the Historical Museum, that had a small garden with native California plants and veggies. It took us about 5 minutes to walk the perimeter and a great way to start our sightseeing. This flower combination was so striking. The purple iris, California poppies, gravel and then the white chair and table in the background. The homes/businesses were all older and as I peaked over fences I could see some back yards that had an old english garden feel.
Little sights like this one were all over the place
Charming Bed and Breakfast properties. It is hard to see but on the left on top of the swirl of the metal pipe is a cute little chicken. See the perfect blue sky.
This was a bakery which smelt wonderful, but the whole barn setting with the garden and wisteria, I loved it. I have never cared for Wisteria until last friday at Filoli, I have been thinking of getting a plant or 2.
And then I saw this charming, quirky, little county store at the end of a small dead end street and instantly thought of my sister Cathy. That really is a compliment. It was cheerful and inviting and made you take a second look and I left with a big smile on my face.
Our time in Cambria done so we climbed into the car and thought we really should head for home.
It was Sunday and we were pleasantly surprised that we didn't hit much traffic. I hate that feel when a vacation is coming to an end. Even though you say you won't think of 'the lists' or work, those very things start to slowly wriggle to the front of your thought process. We went from counrty roads to bigger roads, to hightways and then 5 lane freeways. We drove on the 101 to the 405 South and then to Huntington Beach and home.
I realized that for 4 days we had not turned the radio on one time, and it was comorting to think that after 30 years we still have so much to talk about.
This was my trip and all the things I wanted to do. My sweet, patient husband allowed me to do it all - my way. I try not to take him forgranted and I constantly remind myself how good he is to me. But this weekend his kindness far exceeded my expectations. He knew I wanted to be at the garden before opening and stay until they ushed us out and he made sure that we were on time for it all. I appreaciate his willingness to find a chair or bench and just wait for me while I wandered off and looked at something I had already seen. He never once suggested I hurry and for that I am so grateful.
I have plans for our next 2 weekend get aways. ....Jeff was SO excited when I told him tonight what they were...both are on my bucket list again.
It was a Perfectly, perfect 4 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment