Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 2 and 3 of my amazing Birthday weekend Celebration



































































Friday June 4th.
Friday we was our girls day out. A day at the spa. We had originally planned to eat at Mimi's for breakfast but changed plans Thursday night to eating breakfast at home as it would be easier for Stephanie as it would be her real first outing with Adelaide. Cathy and I got up went to the store for green apples and I fixed a family favorite - apple pancakes. At 11 we dropped Adelaide at Debbie’s and we all left with a bit of a hole in our stomachs. She would be perfectly ok, Debbie would take great care of her. I have never gotten used to being a passenger while my kids drive so with the girls in front, Stephanie driving and indulging in sisterly bantering I quietly applied the brake in the back seat as I did when they were 16. At some point I gave myself away which then opened up the conversation to 'mom, stop that'.

We opened the door to the Burke Williams Spa, and the smell that enveloped us instantly eased our stress. After over an hour of soaking in a perfectly heated spa, applying cucumbers and ice cold aromatherapy clothes to our faces, sitting is steam rooms all the while drinking iced lemon water. We felt like new women, we were relaxed and ready for our facials. I love facials there; they also include hot wax on your hands a massage of your arms, hands and feet all done in a dimly lite room with smoothing music playing in the background. Did I have to leave; did I have to go back out to the real world? All 4 of us felt the same way and the ride home was much quieter, each of us relaxed and reliving the past 3 hours.

We picked up Adelaide and then went to Panera Bread for lunch. Having Adelaide with us was wonderful and she slept the whole time we were out. Have I said how perfect she is? Stephanie dropped Cathy and I back to my house and then Sandra went home.

Jeff was working really late so Cathy and I went to a few stores that were on her list to visit. We went to Bath and Body and spent about one hour smelling all kinds of lotions and potions leaving with a bag of goodies. Then we went to Walmart where I actually purchased some plastic containers and while Cathy did not find what was on her list she did pick up some seed packets.

I think we got home around 9pm and we decided to call it a night.

Even though we went shopping we were able to remain calm and relaxed from our earlier hours in the spa.

It was a fabulous day. .....and other day in my amazing Birthday weekend celebration.

Celebrating with my girls and sister; my heart is full with love when I think of each of them. My girls for the women they have become and my best friends, my sister who I learn so much from and have loved and shared things with for 50 years. thank you for making this day one I will Never forget.
love you all.

Saturday June 5th
Jeff had to work today and left around 6ish. Cathy and I slept in a little bit and then went for a walk around the neighbourhood with Bella. It was a sad day for me. Someone outside of my immediate family would witness how badly behaved my Bella girl is. She did not disappoint me. Really I have to train that dog.
After our walking and talking I mowed the grass (weed patch) while Cathy did something she has not done for a long time. Held a hose, turned it on to full and watered all my garden (South Australia is in the middle of a massive drought and water rationing is a part of daily life). After the mowing and watering were completed we moved on to pulling a few weeds, talking about a plan for the garden when we decided that we had to stop playing and do the things on our list before Jeff arrived home. Our list consisted of a trip to our local famous Costco. It is a huge grocery warehouse that sells packages of food and home goods in oversized boxes and quantities. Cathy was overwhelmed by it all and I had to take the cart from her so that she could look around safely. After Costco we headed to a favorite local nursery where we spent about one hour admiring the plants. Cathy, seeing new plants and enjoying the lushness of it all.
Home to Jeff and lunch and then I did something I so rarely do that I can count the times on one hand. I took an afternoon nap……. Is this what being 50 does to you, makes you take naps? I woke to the voices of Cathy and Scott talking. I laid in bed and just listened enjoying the sound of something so simple as my sister talking to my son. It was 4:15 when I got out of bed and we had a dinner appointment with all the kids for dinner at 4:30. We were all a little late getting to my restaurant of choice – Cheesecake factory. There I was given a gift from Debbie and Dan – a gift certificate to Ann Taylor..love that store. And then my kids and Jeff gave me a printed, framed page of the ’50 Things we love about You’. They made me read it there and I couldn’t get through it without crying. Jeff wrote 20 and the kids 10 each. We did the same thing for Jeff on his 50th so now I need to put them on a wall together. Thank you, this was the kind of gift I love, costs nothing, but from the heart.
Everyone came back to our house where I opened up my other gift. I was totally taken by surprise when the boxes were carried down from the attic. A brand new computer. Unless you have tried to use my old computer you don’t understand, it was 10 years old, was the slowest computer in the whole world and could frustrate the heck out of you just waiting for the internet to come up. I have programs that I couldn’t install as it didn’t have enough memory. Now – instantly things appear, it is life changing. Today Jeff spent hours setting it up. It is not quite done but enough for me to use and appreciate its bigness, quickness and…greatness. Thank you for listening to my whining and getting me something so grand.
50, is not bad when you have it spread over 4 days where each day something wonderful happens and being constantly surrounded by my family.
Tonight is that last night that I 49, tomorrow I will be 50. And it doesn’t matter what way I look at it, I know that in the very best of circumstances…I am ½ done. Scary thought. And that is if everything goes really well. ½ done, wow, I better make the next 50 count for something more than just time passing.
But, the first 50 years have been quite extraordinary. I have beautiful, loving parents, I had an upbringing that most would envy and siblings that support and love one another. A husband who is my best friend, and has given me the most rewarding first 30 years of marriage and children that take my breath away. And a granddaughter who has added something so special to our lives.

Thank you all for making my life so complete.

No comments: