Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gardening and a Patient Husband.

Jan 2nd 2009:
We were supposed to go to the Getty museum today with Debbie and Dan but Jeff is still battling the flu so we decided to stay home.
I love beautiful gardens. I dream of having a beautiful garden. I have tried to have a beautiful garden. But the reality is, my garden is…..sad looking. So after talking to my sister Cathy and coming up with some ideas and a plan - today I started the renovation of my back yard. I am putting in a hedge (I love hedges) at both ends of the yard directly out my sliding back door. Behind the hedges will be hydrangeas. My goal is to spectacularly simplify. At the end of the day I have most of the ditches dug for the plants to be popped in. I have 2 piles of dirt/clay that I have to dispose of and bags of purchased good dirt to put around my plants in the ditches.
I believe that at some point during the day Jeff has taken a look out the window at my progress and I pay him tribute for his silence. He hates it when I dig stuff up and move things around. He builds me little walls, and then I take them out. He puts down paths that I move around. He is SO good to me and today he is either really tired or has just given up. His only comment to me on my day was to ask if I was satisfied with the results. To my patient husband, Thank you. Yes I am quite pleased with the day and all that I did. Tomorrow I will finish planting the hedges. Update: Jan 18th – well ‘tomorrow’ turned in to 2 weeks. After I put in the larger hedge I just wasn’t happy with the curve that I had created, so after much fussing about I had Jeff and his brother Mark help me figure it out by putting a stake in the ground a piece of string and trial and error moving the stake a little to the right, a little to the left. Tonight, I am happy with the result. This weeks goal is to move the existing 6 foot tree about 2 feet the left and then purchase 2 more trees like it, planting them in front of the drive.

No comments: