Friday, September 26, 2008

Daughters, Marriage and the Kitchen

I have made an interesting observation of both my daughters since they have been married. It is simply this: they can cook. Before marriage neither one had much use for the kitchen. A bowl of cereal doesn’t require much thought or skill in preparing, and cookies/cupcakes don’t count. Now, they are both showing skills in the kitchen that I could only dream that one day they would accomplish. Menus are prepared ahead of time, shopping done systematically and complete meals are produced.
On Tuesday the 23rd, Stephanie invited us to dinner. She had made a delicious pot roast with potatoes, baby carrots and gravy. As side dishes she had corn and a green salad. It was served on beautiful platters-wedding presents. We squeezed around their borrowed folding table (from us) and pulled up a box and step stool for the extra 2 chairs. It was fun to watch both Stephanie and Jim in their home working together. We really appreciated all the effort that Stephanie went to in making the meal, it tasted as good as it looked. Dessert was chocolate (of course) cupcakes with chocolate frosting AND sprinkles. Afterwards I helped wash dishes…no dishwasher, it has been a long time since I did all dishes by hand. It reminded me of growing up in Aldgate, I loved to wash dishes in the winter as it kept my hands warm on those cold days. (well at least I remember washing dishes, my parents will probably remember it being considerably less that what memory tells me). After a while Jeff, Stephanie and I popped over to Sandra’s to visit for a few minutes. (love having them live SO close together)
Thank you Stephanie and Jim for a wonderful evening.

No comments: